Business BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma
The world of business offers a huge variety of careers and opportunities. This course is ideal for students with a keen interest in business, how it is developed and how businesses work, develop and make a profit The UK is the 5th largest economy in the world, consisting of various sized businesses and organisations operating across different sectors currently employing 33.4 million people with a value of £3 Million.
In the first year, your programme of study includes:
• The business environment – learn the impact of the economic environment on businesses and understand how businesses are organised to achieve their purposes
• Business resources – you’ll enhance your knowledge of how businesses function from a financial perspective. This will include looking at a variety of accounting, budgeting, expenses and payment models used by SMEs.
• Marketing – you’ll get a deeper insight into promoting and marketing a business and understand different marketing techniques
These will lead onto a specialist pathway of your choice in year 2, from the following subjects:
• Finance – you’ll enhance your knowledge of how businesses function from a financial perspective. This will include looking at a variety of accounting, budgeting, expenses and payment models used by SMEs.
• Human resources – you’ll develop your professional and employability skills through gaining a better understanding of business functions, business application, as well as business ethics and law to aid in the recruitment, training, performance management and support of employees.
• Law – understand the legal requirements for a business and the meaning and effect of terms in a legal format
• Sales and marketing – you’ll develop a sound understanding of the needs and expectations of customers, how to identify them and the importance of meeting and managing them.
The pathway enables students to select sectors that appeal to them and enhance their future career
Business students progress to careers in a huge range of different sectors and occupations, including customer services roles, marketing and communications, finance, sales and human resources. Many also choose to start their own businesses.
In addition, our courses will help you develop the wider skills that businesses look for including, for example, teamwork, communication and problem solving
Minimum entry requirements:
Five GCSEs at Grade 4 and above including English and Maths or
successful completion of a relevant Level 2 programme
This subject is a useful complement to a number of courses including Law, Criminology, IT and Sociology
• Visits to local and national attractions such as the Harry Potter studios and the Bank of England
• Opportunity for a European residential in Year 2
• Carrying out calculations
• Interpreting and analysing data
• Applying knowledge
• Developing arguments and making judgements
• Identifying problems and proposing solutions
Likely next step opportunities:
• Higher Education for degree/HND courses in a wide variety of business and economics degrees or you could specialise in an area you enjoy eg accounting, finance, marketing, human resources
• Business or Economics degree combined with another subject
A mixture of coursework, examinations and controlled assessment