Elite Football Academy Programme
BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Sport
Offered alongside a sport qualification at Levels 1, 2 or 3
This programme, in conjunction with Gosport Borough Football Club (GBFC), is designed for Footballers who are looking to progress as a player into a Pro/Semi-Pro club, a Scholarship in the USA, or onto a university degree course in the UK. The whole programme is between two and three years long and combines lessons with training and fixtures so that the course that you are studying will be a part of your development as a player.
Together, we aim to help players achieve the highest standard of football possible. Possible exit routes from the St Vincent and GBFC Elite Football Academy are; into professional and semiprofessional Football Clubs though our links within the game, onto a US Scholarship where you can play and learn at one of the universities or onto a degree course at a UK university to study any sport-related degree.
Football: GBFC will deliver over 12 hours of first class football training as part of the Elite Football Academy Programme. You will compete in fixtures, which provides a high-quality experience for 16-19 year olds on the pitch.
Education: You will complete a sport qualification. You will be enrolled on a sport qualification relevant to your exam results. (Please refer to Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3 sport course description sheets for more information).
All sport courses are exam free and you are assessed with coursework based units. Typical topics include:
• Leadership Activities in Sport
• Fitness Training
• Fitness Testing
• Sports Coaching
• Practical Sport
• Anatomy and Physiology
• Outdoor Adventurous Activities
In addition, you must also re-sit your Mathematics and English if you do not achieve a grade 4.
Level 1: Edexcel
Level 2: OCR
Level 3: Edexcel
Between two and three years depending on entry requirements
Minimum entry requirements:
As this is an Elite Football Academy, before being accepted onto this programme, your footballing ability will be assessed by GBFC
This is a full time course in its own right. Students who are yet to gain a Grade 4 in English and/or Maths will need to resit these GCSEs alongside this course
• Football performance skills, officiating and coaching knowledge
• ICT skills, as all coursework will be word processed
• You will also learn how to use PowerPoint, Publisher, Microsoft 365
• You will learn a variety of research skills as well as how to work in a group and as an individual
Likely next step opportunities:
• A career in the world of football either as a player, coach or match official
• Higher Education – degrees in sport eg. PE teaching, coaching, sports therapy, sports science, exercise referral and sports development
• Employment in the sports industry
• All units are coursework based.
• Each unit is graded as a Pass, Merit or Distinction