Elite Football Academy Programme
BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Sport
This programme, in conjunction with Gosport Borough Football Club (GBFC), is designed for Footballers who are looking to progress as a player into a Pro/Semi-Pro club, a Scholarship in the USA, or onto a university degree course in the UK. The whole programme is two-years long and combines lessons with training and fixtures so that the course that you are studying will be a part of your development as a player.
Together, we aim to help players achieve the highest standard of football possible. Possible exit routes from the St Vincent and GBFC Elite Football Academy are; into professional and semiprofessional Football Clubs though our links within the game, onto a US Scholarship where you can play and learn at one of the universities or onto a degree course at a UK university to study any sport-related degree.
Football: GBFC will deliver over 12 hours of first class football training as part of the Elite Football Academy Programme. You will compete in fixtures as part of the National League U19 Alliance, which provides a high-quality experience for 16-19 year olds on the pitch.
Education: You will complete a two-year BTEC course that is equivalent to 2 A-Levels and will be up to 12 hours per week. In addition, you must also re-sit your Mathematics and English if you do not achieve a grade 4.
This course is assessed through internally set coursework tasks.
Unit 1 – Principles of Anatomy and Physiology in Sport
Unit 2 – The Physiology of Fitness
Unit 3 – Assessing Risk in Sport
Unit 4 – Fitness Training and Programming
Unit 7 – Fitness Testing for Sport and Exercise
Unit 10 – Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
Unit 13 – Leadership in Sport
Unit 5 – Sports Coaching
Unit 6 – Sports Development
Unit 8 – Practical Team Sports
Unit 21 – Sports Massage
Unit 22 – Rules, Regulations and Officiating in Sport
Unit 26 – Work Experience in Sport
Two years (you must pass all your Year 1 units in order to progress to Year 2)
Minimum entry requirements:
Five GCSEs at Level 4 or above. As this is an Elite Football Academy, before being accepted onto this programme, your footballing ability will be assessed by GBFC
This is a full time course in its own right. Students who are yet to gain a Level 4 in English and/or Maths will need to resit these GCSEs alongside this course
• Football performance skills, officiating and coaching knowledge
• ICT skills, as all coursework will be word processed
• You will also learn how to use PowerPoint, Publisher, Microsoft 365
• You will learn a variety of research skills as well as how to work in a group and as an individual
Likely next step opportunities:
• A career in the world of football either as a player, coach or match official
• Higher Education – degrees in sport eg. PE teaching, coaching, sports therapy, sports science, exercise referral and sports development
• Employment in the sports industry
• All units are coursework based.
• 13 units
• Each unit is graded as a Pass, Merit or Distinction