Short Film and TV Production Level 3
The growth of digital technology has had a huge impact on the way media products are produced, making it possible for everyone to make their own films, TV shows, magazines and websites. This course will give you an introduction to the world of digital media production by developing key production skills through practical tasks and live briefs. You will be required to script shoot and edit your own short film, although the course can be tailored to other forms of media production in discussion with your teacher.
Unit 1: Media Products and Audiences
This unit will involve studying media forms and the audiences that consume them. You will develop the skills needed to analyse media products and consider the wider issues surrounding their role in society. The other units will require you to complete the production of a short film from the idea and pitch stage, through scripting, planning, shooting and editing. Units you will need to complete include:
Unit 2: Pre-Production and Planning
Unit 21: Plan and Deliver a Pitch for a Media Product
Unit 22: Scripting for Media Products
Unit 3: Create a Media Product
Unit 5: TV and Short Film Production
Unit 16: Creation and Use of Sound in Media
Minimum entry requirements:
Five GCSEs Grades 4 – 9 which must include English Language at Grade 5.
• Can be taken with A-Level Film Studies and Photography to create a creative and Media learning programme.
• Combines well with other humanities and arts subjects but can be taken as part of a varied A-Level programme with any subject.
• With BTEC/OCR nationals.
• Trips to London to BFI study days and BFI Imax
• Residential trip planned to short film festival
• Trips to local universities, including game show trip to Southampton Solent.
• Chance to be involved in The Ritz, the community cinema based in the college.
• Portsmouth DV Mission, 48 hour film challenge.
• Planning and scripting short film and video products.
• Use of moving image cameras
• Editing and post-production skills.
Likely next step opportunities:
• Practical media and film production courses at University.
Unit 1 is assessed through and externally set written exam, combining short and longer answers.
All other units are assessed via a portfolio of coursework.
On completion of the course, you will have successfully achieved a Level 3 Foundation Diploma in Digital Media