(Development, Coaching and Fitness)
This is equivalent to three A Levels. It is a two-year, full-time course that is ideal for those that want to go into the sports industry or study a sports degree at university.
As part of the course you will also take Community Sports Leaders, with the option of progressing to Higher Sports Leaders in year 2.
Potential Course Structure:
Two years (you must pass all your Year 1 units in order to progress to Year 2) and pass CSL
Minimum entry requirements:
Five GCSEs at Level 4 or above, ideally with Level 4 or above for Maths and English.
This is a full time course in its own right. Students who are yet to gain a Level 4 in English and/or Maths will need to resit these GCSEs alongside this course
You will learn a wide variety of sports within lessons, as well as have the opportunity to play in one of the College sports teams. As part of this course all students must complete the NCS – which is a week’s residential, involving activities such as surfing, coasteering and high ropes, followed by a social action project. This is compulsory and contributes towards your BTEC grade.
• ICT skills, as all coursework will be word processed
• You will also learn how to use PowerPoint, Publisher, Microsoft 365
• You will learn a variety of research skills as well as how to work in a group and as an individual and how to lead coaching sessions
Likely next step opportunities:
• Higher Education – degrees in sport eg. PE teaching, coaching, sports therapy, sports science, exercise referral and sports development
• Employment in the sports industry
All units are coursework based assessment.
Year 1: 10 units
Year 2: 9 units
• Each unit is graded as a Pass, Merit or Distinction