Public Services BTEC Level 3
This Level 3 study programme gives you the opportunity to develop your skills and knowledge to help you identify and prepare for a career in the Uniformed Services, such as Army, Royal Navy, RAF, Police, Ambulance, Fire Brigade and Prison Service.
Topics that will be covered on the study programme will include citizenship, diversity, leadership, teamwork, government, policy and fitness training. You will also be able to improve your fitness level through additional sport and activities, such as engaging in the college academy sports and enrichment programmes. You will take part in many trips and activities such as: orienteering, camping, martial arts display; as well as have guest lectures from the Royal Military Police; the Royal Marines Visibility Team and the Army Medical Services. These visits give you the opportunity to develop skills as varied as map reading, employment skills, and team-work through to developing strong leadership skills.
How is the course taught?
You will attend workshops to support your work on assignments. The teaching involves presentations, role plays, teamwork activities, online research and input from employers.
Minimum entry requirements:
Five GCSEs at Level 4 – 9, or a Merit for the Level 2 Diploma
in Public Services (or similar Level 2 qualifications), a Level 4 at
GCSE and the support of your tutors
This is a full time course in its own right. Students who are yet to gain a Level 4 in English and/or Maths will need to resit those GCSEs alongside this course
• You will learn a wide variety of sports and activities within lessons, as well as have the opportunity to play in one of the College sports teams
• First Aid qualification
• There will be a variety of activities planned within your course, which will involve day visits to uniformed public services locations, residential trips, and one-off adventure days
• We will also invite various uniformed public services into College for workshops and conferences
• ICT skills, as all coursework will be word processed
• You will also learn how to use PowerPoint and Publisher
• Research skills
• How to work in a group and as an individual
Likely next step opportunities:
On successful completion of this study programme, you can apply for a wide range of public sector occupations, including posts in the Armed Forces, Emergency Forces, Coastguard and Prison Service. Alternatively, you can progress onto a relevant Higher Education programme.
• 100% Coursework
• Each unit is graded as a PASS, MERIT or DISTINCTION
• You must gain a PASS overall and the support of your teachers in order to progress to the second year of study
• You must pass all units in order to successfully complete this course
You will be required to purchase military boots and a belt as part of the Public Services Course, however you will be provided with trousers and a T-shirt. You must also take part in the NCS programme as part of your course, this is compulsory and contributes towards your Level 3 grade.