Art & Design: Fine Art A Level
This is a very creative course that aims to enable you to work with a broad range of media and use innovative techniques in your own original manner. Emphasis is placed on how imaginative,
intellectual and aesthetically composed your outcomes are. We will introduce you to advanced drawing and painting methods in individual and creative ways, as well as use print making and
mixed media to extend your expressive possibilities. The course aims to give you the confidence to develop as a creative individual and the chance to build a rich portfolio that will be ideal for Higher Education.
Portfolio development will cover:
• Drawing, painting and print making
• Exploration and analysis of artists’ work
• Idea development and compositional planning
• Independent research
• Experimentation with variety of media
• Development of considered approaches to creative thinking
• Planning, preparation and realisation of a project from given titles
• How students determine individual directions and choices of media
• Document research and creative processes
• Produce final pieces during mock exam conditions for an end of year exhibition
Year 2 – A-Level
Personal Investigation will cover:
• Students making own choices of creative direction
• Produce one major project
• Support Project with research into artists and Related Study essay worth 20% of final assessment
• Planning and preparation in creative and inventive ways
• Use a broad range of approaches which then focus into a final major piece worth 60% of A-Level grade
• Production of final art outcomes
Externally set task
• Final major piece responding to set titles to be produced in 15 hour exam worth 40% of final A-Level grade
• Extend skills and continue to develop professionally
A-Level – Two years
Minimum entry requirements:
• Five GCSEs at Level 4 – 9.
Must include a Level 4 or above in GCSE Art.
• Creative Portfolio for interview.
• A-Level subjects
• If combined with other creative A-Levels (Photography or Graphics), you increase your opportunities of gaining direct entry to creative degree courses
• All students have access to our enrichment programme
• Experimental Drawing, Print making, Photography
• Foreign trips and London visits to see Art, Design and Cultural Studies
Likely next step opportunities:
• Art college foundation courses
• Other Higher Education courses
The Personal Investigation and Externally Set Task are internally
assessed and moderated before being externally moderated to verify marks.