Applied Science BTEC Level 3
If you enjoy the practical side of science, this is the course for you. This two A-Level equivalent course focuses on the application of science in the world of work. More and more employers are looking for well-qualified young people to work in the fields of science, technology and engineering. the applied sciences offer a wide variety of careers. Your BTEC will sharpen your skills for employment or further study. You will be assessed through portfolio work and external assessments.
You will need to successfully complete 6 mandatory units (3 of which are externally assessed) and 2 optional units over 2 years.
The 6 mandatory units are;
• Principles and applications of science I (externally assessed)
• Practical scientific procedures and techniques
• Science investigation skills (externally assessed)
• Laboratory techniques and their application
• Principles and applications of science II (externally assessed),
• Investigative project.
Minimum entry requirements:
Five GCSEs at Level 4 – 9, including at least 4 in Science or
Mathematics and English at GCSE Level 4
With other AS/A levels in Mathematics or Humanities subjects
• Industry visits
• Work experience
• Practical laboratory skills
• Report writing
• Time management
• Independent research
• Working in a group or team
• Oral communication
• Presentation skills
• Appreciation of the world of work
• Information technology skills
Likely next step opportunities:
• Higher Education for degree courses in science-related subjects, engineering and the manufacturing industry
• Careers in commerce, Civil Service, pharmaceuticals, energy industry, science and development and computing
Assessment is by portfolio and external assessment.
Achievement will be based on Pass, Merit and Distinction.