Public Services BTEC Level 2
BTEC Level 2
Teamwork in the Community
The Level 2 Public Service course provides the ideal stepping stone into a wide range of exciting careers in the uniformed services, including the Army and police force. You will benefit from the expertise of teachers who also have backgrounds in the armed forces and other public services.
You will study the theory of teamwork and personal development, look at employment skills and undertake fitness testing and training. You will also look at current issues within the public services and participate in outdoor adventurous activities. Our strong links with the armed forces enable you to take part in relevant visits and activities during your course, giving you valuable insight into the kind of work your chosen career might include. Fitness is also a major element of our public services courses, preparing you well for the armed forces or police force selection tests you may eventually have to undertake.
You will need a good standard of English to communicate with members of the public and to write-up notes and reports. You will participate in role plays and leadership roles within a team. You will learn personal skills which are used in the Public services. You will learn about Law and how it affects individuals within the Public services. How crime affects Society. Maths skills will be needed for map and compass work and for planning team requirements.
How is the course taught?
You will attend workshops to support your work on assignments.
The teaching involves presentations, role plays, teamwork activities, online research and input from employers.
Minimum entry requirements:
Five GCSEs at Level 2 and above, (or a Merit in a Level 1
qualification and the support of your tutors)
This is a full-time course which includes Functional Skills English and/or Maths if not yet gained grade C
• You will learn a wide variety of sports and activities within lessons, as well as have the opportunity to play in one of the College sports teams
• There will be a variety of activities planned within your course, which will involve day visits to uniformed public services locations, residential trips, and one-off adventure days
• We will also invite various uniformed public services into College for workshops and conferences
• ICT skills, as some coursework will be word processed
• You will also learn how to use PowerPoint and Publisher
• Research skills
• How to work in a group and as an individual
Likely next step opportunities:
• The Level 2 course within this pathway are designed for anyone wanting to develop a career in the armed forces or public sector. Once you complete the Level 2 course. You will be able to progress to Level 3 Public Services and subsequently study at Higher Education and also towards careers in:
• The Prison Service
• Armed Forces
• Emergency services: Police, Fire and Ambulance service
• The Civil Service
• 100% coursework – 7 units
• Each unit is graded as a Pass or Fail. You will need to pass all of the units
You will be required to purchase military boots and a belt as part of the Public Services Course, however you will be provided with trousers and a T-shirt. You must also take part in the NCS programme as part of your course, this is compulsory and contributes towards your Level 2 grade.