Preparing to study
There are no formal entry requirements, but it would be helpful if you hold, or are working towards, level 2/GCSE English and Maths. You will be offered assessment of your skills level if you do not hold these qualifications, as part of the course.
Who should take this qualification?
This short course is for learners who want to prepare to study for a qualification course, and is particularly useful for getting ready to take the Access to HE Diploma.
You will be supported in planning to study, assessing your current skills and learning goals, developing confidence in the classroom and working with other students who are planning to take further qualifications.
What does this course cover?
Our College Certificate is designed to provide essential preparation for further study, particularly for potential Access to HE Diploma students. It includes short units on the following:
• Introduction to study: including learning styles, learning goals and skills assessment
• Academic writing: including style, structure and referencing an academic assignment
• Research skills: including sources of information, note-taking, reading for information
• Working in a group: including group roles, building positive working relationships, giving/receiving opinions
• Presentation skills: including planning and delivering a presentation
• How to study a subject: choose 3 from Biology, Criminology, Health Care, History, Psychology, Sociology
What opportunities for progression are there?
The certificate is excellent preparation for progressing onto accredited courses at Level 2 or above, for example:
• Level 2 Certificate in Criminology
• Level 2 Award in Counselling Skills
• Level 3 Access to HE Diploma
• Level 3 Introduction to Mentoring Skills
• Level 3 Train the Trainer
• Level 3 Award in Education and Training (formerly PTLLS)
Time: 10.00 am – 12.00 noon
Duration: 8 weeks
Starting: 26th April 2019