ICT and Computing
This OCR Level 2 qualification is designed to provide specialist work-related qualifications in a range of sectors. They give learners the knowledge, understanding and skills that they need to prepare for employment. The qualifications also provide career development opportunities for those already in work.
This is a practical, work-related course. You will learn by completing projects and assignments that are based on realistic workplace situations, activities and demands. It introduces you to the IT sector and provides a good basis to progress on to more advanced work-related qualifications.
The course will appeal to you if you:
- Have a keen interest in Information Technology
- Like the opportunity to carry out practical work on a computer, as well as theoretical elements of IT
- Enjoy finding your own answers – not just being taught
- Enjoy developing your personal skills and qualities
- Enjoy studying a subject that is relevant to your own life and experiences
This course is made up of four units.
The compulsory units are:
- Communicating in the IT industry
- Working in the IT industry
Optional units include the following areas of study:
- Computer graphics
- Developing Computer Games
- Specific IT skills
- Research skills
- Personal and practical skills and qualities
If you need to resit English or Maths GCSE then you will have the opportunity to do this alongside L2 IT. However, if you only need to resit one of these GCSEs you could study a further vocational subject such as L2 Business or L2 Law.
All students have access to a range of additional enrichment and recreational activities.
Progression on to Level 3 courses, such as a BTEC Level 3 ICT and Computing Courses, eSports or employment/apprenticeships.
- Five GCSEs at minimum Grade 2 to take this course, preferably a Grade 3 or above for English GCSE.
If you have yet to gain a Grade 4 in GCSE English and Maths this subject can be combined with either GCSE English or Functional Skills English and/or GCSE Maths.
- Coursework is carried out through project work and external assessment.
- You will alsohave the opportunity todevelop your skills in Maths, English and wider key skills.