Health and Social Care
BTEC Level 3 single
The BTEC Level 3 Certificate forms part of our Pathway to Nursing, Midwifery and Healthcare programme for those who are ambitious to work within the Health, Social Care or teaching sectors. This is a single BTEC qualification, equivalent to one full A-Level and you are expected to choose 2 other courses to create your full-time programme.
Health & Social Care students develop to an outstanding level and become highly successful learners who are:
- Highly organised, compassionate, independent young people that add significant value to our community
- Committed and show willingness with a ‘have a go’ attitude
- Proud of the clear progression routes in the sector and wider industry
- Successful hardworking committed young people – tomorrow’s employees in our communities
Student’s undertake mandatory units in:
- Human Lifespan Development – externally assessed in year 1
- Working in Health and Social Care – externally assessed in year 2
- Meeting Individuals Care and Support Needs – internally assessed coursework in year 1
- Physiological Disorders –internally assessed coursework in year 2
- Communication, oral and written
- Understanding of equality and diversity
- The principles of the care value base
- Understanding of the National Occupational Standards for the sector
Suggested courses include Applied Human Biology, Applied Psychology, Applied Science, Criminology or English Language.
- First Aid/AED qualification
- Visiting lecturers and professionals from Health, Social Work and Medical related fields
- Event days with the Universities of Portsmouth, Southampton, Chichester and Winchester
Preparation for employment, higher education, apprenticeships or degree programmes in Adult, Mental Health and Paediatric Nursing (BSc Hons), Social Work (BA Hons), Paramedic Science (BSc Hons), Occupational Therapy (BSc Hons) or Primary Teacher (BA Hons).
You should be able to show that you have a standard of literacy, numeracy and general education equivalent to five GCSEs grade 4 – 9 including English; Maths GCSE grade 4 is preferable.