Level 2 and level 1
The Functional Skills Mathematics course will enable the student to gain confidence and fluency in Mathematics along with a new and positive attitude towards the subject that they have yet to gain a significant grade or qualification in.
Students will convey their confidence in using Mathematics by demonstrating a sound grasp of Mathematical knowledge and skills and apply it to solve Mathematical problems.
If you wish to study this course as an adult student, please contact email@example.com
A one-year course.
The Functional Skills Qualification in Mathematics at Level 1 consists of one externally assessed assessment.
Each assessment comprises two sections – a non-calculator section (calculator prohibited) and a calculator section (calculator permitted).
The assessments are available as paper-based and onscreen, on-demand assessment.
Section A, the Non-calculator part of the assessment is 25 minutes and is worth 25% of the final mark.
Section B, the Calculator part of the assessment is 1 hour 30 minutes and is worth 75% of the final mark.
Both sections are completed during the same exam.
During the year students will cover these topics:
Using numbers and the number system – whole numbers, fractions, decimals and percentages;
Using common measures, shapes and space;
Handling information and data.
This qualification will give learners the opportunity to demonstrate a sound grasp of the underpinning skills and basics of mathematical skills appropriate to the level and apply mathematical thinking to solve simple problems in familiar situations.
By the end of the year students will be:
- Able to demonstrate their ability in mathematical skills and their ability to apply these, through appropriate reasoning and decision making, to solve realistic problems of increasing complexity;
- introduced to new areas of life and work so that they are exposed to concepts and problems (paying bills, tax, interest rates, home improvement) which, while not of immediate concern, may be of value in later life;
- enabled to develop an appreciation of the role played by mathematics in the world of work and in life generally.
- Level 2-Functional Skills maths
- Level 2 Courses – Including GCSE Mathematics
Grade 1 or lower GCSE Mathematics.
One externally assessed assessment.
There are multiple opportunities to sit the assessment.