This is an exciting challenging award. The course will provide you with the opportunity to develop your communication, planning and organisational skills.
You will gain a sound knowledge of sports related issues and apply this knowledge during the delivery of your practical lessons. This is an ideal award if you are seeking employment in the Sports & Leisure industry. You will learn to plan, deliver and review practical sessions to a local junior school.
You complete a minimum of 30 hours of leadership throughout this qualification. This will be
undertaken in 4 mandatory units and units 5 and 6.
Unit 4 – Plan, lead and evaluate sport/physical activity sessions for children
Unit 5 – Plan, lead and evaluate sport/physical activity sessions in the community
Unit 6 – Plan, lead and evaluate sport/physical activity sessions for disabled people
The course is a combination of theory but mostly practical lessons.
It is worth 16 UCAS tariff points
Unit 1 – Developing leadership skills
Unit 2 – Plan, lead and evaluate a sports/physical activity event
Unit 3 – Lead safe sport/physical activity sessions
Sports Leaders UK
- A variety of research skills
- How to work in a group and as an individual
- Communication and organisation skills
- This course is part ofLevel 3in Sport.
- This course is open to all across the college curriculum*
You will learn a wide variety of sports within lessons, as well as have the opportunity to play in one of the College Sports Teams. College currently have a Men’s Football Team, GBFC Elite Team, and a Netball Team.
As part of this course all students must complete the NCS (National Citizenship Scheme) during October/November in year 1. This is free and consists of a week’s residential, involving activities such as surfing, coasteering and high ropes, followed by a social action project. This is compulsory and contributes towards your CTEC grade.
This qualification has a progression pathway to further sports related qualifications, training or employment.
- Observation and assessment of practical leadership skills by the course tutor and verified by an appropriate person
- Completion of LER – Learner Evidence Record
- 30hours– demonstrating of leadership – required before qualification is certificated
- Recognised HSE First Aid Certificate