We now live in a society where each one of us carries a portable film studio around in our pockets. Mobile phones contain the tools to shoot moving images, the tools to edit them, and the tools to upload and share them with the world. The ability to use video creatively and effectively has never been more important and more of our culture is based around moving images, from cinema and TV to YouTube and Netflix. Artists and Photographers are increasingly incorporating moving images into their work. This course will give you the practical skills to develop and create your own moving image productions.
There is no exam in this subject. You will be assessed by producing a personal investigation of your own devising and through the production of a moving image artefact. You will be required to work to a brief set externally by the exam board.
• Exploration of techniques including: using video cameras, shot composition, camera movement, lenses, editing, lighting.
• Moving image analysis.
• Independent research.
• Research into film makers and video artists
• Case studies narrative film, music video, short film, experimental film.
• Pre-production, production and post-production skills.
• A range of individual and group projects.
• A final individual assessed project including a short moving image piece and research materials developed from a set brief.
• More choice in creative direction of study and practical work.
• Further development of skills learned in year 1.
• Larger scale projects.
• Personal investigation culminating in a major piece worth 60% of A-Level mark.
• Final major piece produced during 15 hour controlled assessment, worth 40% of A-Level mark.
Five GCSEs at Grades 4 – 9
We highly recommend combining this course with the new A-Level Film Studies Specification to create a balance between the theoretical study of film form and creative skills of film making. Adding A-Level Media Studies will add the further dimension of study of the social, political and economic role of media in our society.
• With BTEC/OCR Nationals
• Can be combined with a wide range of A-Level subjects according to your career/HE intentions
• All students have access to our enrichment programme
• Experimental Drawing, Print making, Photography
• Foreign trips and London visits to see Art, Design and Cultural Studies
• Art college foundation courses
• Other Higher Education courses
The Personal Investigation and Externally Set Task are internally assessed and moderated before being externally moderated to verify marks.